20 August 2005

The Lazy Little Blood Donor - part 1

I've been - off and on - a blood donor since college. Markland, the medieval reenactment and good times group I belonged to, would round up folks everytime there was a campus blood drive with loud announcements that the faithful should "Bleed for the Militia!" (Campus groups got some kind of credit, even if it was just shinier halos in the afterlife for participating in pro bono activities). And I'm O Negative, so I'm very popular at blood donation centers. I forget how much I've given but it's somewhere around 3 gallons by now.

I don't do it as often as I should - certainly not the every eight weeks that Stacey does - but I'll certainly participate in the ones that fall into my lap, like the ones that Jill would organize at work. And now Glenn has organized one via the Reston Community Players, so this morning I'm going to finish my coffee, steal the last of David's cranberries to have for a post-bleed snack, and head over to RCP's rehearsal hall to Bleed for Community Theater!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Hope it went well. Since the Red Cross has barred me (rotten Creuzfeld-Jakob disease!), all I can do is stand on the sidelines and cheer on those who are still eligible - whole blood, plasma, platelets... You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

I cheered Jill on in giving last week. Whoo-whoo! Unfortunately, I am a fainting needlephobe whose blood & needle sensitivity is such that reading your post is about as close as I can personally get to giving blood without going all woozy.

And on that note, thanks for not describing the experience in vivid detail. :)