12 May 2008

Because it's raining

"[It] refers to Meher Baba's one time comment that rain was a blessing from God; that thunder was God's Voice." Those nice strangers on Wikipedia quoting Mr. Townshend.

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who (Pete Townshend)

Only love
Can make it rain
The way the beach is kissed by the sea
Only love
Can make it rain
Like the sweat of lovers
Laying in the fields.

Love, Reign o'er me
Love, Reign o'er me, rain on me

Only love
Can bring the rain
That makes you yearn to the sky
Only love
Can bring the rain
That falls like tears from on high

Love Reign O'er me

On the dry and dusty road
The nights we spend apart alone
I need to get back home to cool cool rain
I can't sleep and I lay and I think
The night is hot and black as ink
Oh God, I need a drink of cool cool rain

4 comments:

Brett said...

Quadrophenia is a criminally overlooked movie when people talk about great movies. The soundtrack is glorious as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. Did Pete really use "to lay" intransitively?

tommyspoon said...

David, rock and roll is an internationally recognized GFZ: Grammar Free Zone.

Anonymous said...

Equally inspired by the weather, Sarah and I simutaniously (sp)
rang out with "When that I was and a little tiny boy, With a hey and ho the wind and the rain; A foolish thing was but a toy, For the rain it raineth every day." As sung by Ben Kinglsy in the Royal Shakespeare production of 12th Night. And If you haven't seen this, treat yourself and rent it. And be forwever haunted by this tune. Ooh Ben Kingsly. Ooh, ooh, Toby Smith (Orsino).

Sally Cusenza