01 August 2006

How to please (some) bartenders

After seeing her in Lisa's Jill Kills at the DC Fringe festival last Monday, the Permanently Delightful Sally invited us out for a drink. We got ensconced in the very high backed love seats at the Poste Bar in the Hotel Monaco and Sally went to fetch the refreshers. I asked for a Sidecar, which seemed especially appropriate in that setting, but named a back-up drink just in case. Lo and behold! Sally returned with my Sidecar, sugar rim and all, and said that the bartender was very happy to get to make something out of the ordinary. Apparently, anyone can toss a 3-to-1, mixer-to-booze drink in a glass over ice and add a stir-straw, but it takes a mixologist to make a cocktail. Of course, the downside to my having a Sidecar is probably the sight of me licking the sugar off of the glass like a little kid, but I do that with Margaritas anyway, so people are used to it by now. And, as it turned out, the young lady playing Jill is also working tending bar these days, so she made sure to ask me what was in the glass and mentally filed it away for future use.

It may be getting too easy. Next time out I'll have to ask for a French Revolution.

3 comments:

David Gorsline said...

You take a margarita with a sugar rim? Yuck!

Maureen said...

Never heard of a French Revolution before, but it sounds good. I'll have to remember that one...

Anonymous said...

If you are going to go in for champagne cocktails, you must try a Pangalactic Gargleblaster (Vodka, Blue Curacao and Champagne plus odds and ends). Almost as dangerous as the ones in Hitchhiker's Guide. Next party after the weather cools down . . .

And I must agree with the bartender, real cocktails are much more fun to mix. A friend and I are famous (okay, sometimes notorious) for improv cocktails.