25 January 2007

I thought about the game

I like sports. Well, I like sporting events. I like going to "the game" more or less no matter what game I'm going to see, because sporting events are pretty much just big theme parties. There's food, whose expense is only exceeded by its unheathfulness; there are people, many of whom have had multiple beers; there is the costume, mainly jeans and a ballcap; and there is cheering. There are also the quasi-religious superstitions and rituals. And there is also some kind game, too, of course, let's not forget that.

Among my favorite games to attend are baseball games with Brett and football games with John and Mattie. I like going to games with them because they are knowledgeable about the games we are going to see and invested in them. They want their teams to win. I want to eat hot dogs and sit in the sunshine. (For hockey, I want to eat hot dogs and sit in a nice, warm arena.) Winning is nice, too. Definitely better than losing.

As you may have guessed from the above, I'm not the most informed fan out there. But I still have opinions (not knowing anything has never stopped me from having an opinion) which I share with the team. Not at the top of my lungs, like John, but more conversationally. (I love to point out that if the rest of the stadium would just shut up, the team could benefit from John's advice.) So when attending, oh, say, hockey games, I'm likely to say - not shout - things like "As this is a team sport, and your teammate is open, perhaps you should consider passing the puck to him."

David seems to find this a bit odd? entertaining? I dunno, but noteworthy anyway, and so he sent me this the other day in an e-mail that he titled "Head Coach Leta." And, you know, damned if it's not pretty much exactly what I would say. I mean, compare this random quote with the sample, supra, of my form of "cheering": Now, this is important. If he gives you the ball, run toward our goal and try not to get tackled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I still have opinions (not knowing anything has never stopped me from having an opinion)"

This is why we get along so well. Me neither!

Anonymous said...

Dang. Blogspot ate my earlier comment. I assure you that it was witty and amusing, showing insight and a penchant for whimsy.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

JCC