05 May 2007

One of the team

Michael J. Fox: Teamwork seems to be a real theme on the show and in your life.

Denis Leary: Where I come from in show business, there were always, like five other people in a scene, and we wanted to make the scene as good as we could because we knew we all looked better that way. That was true when I was doing stand-up in the clubs in Boston too -- there was a sense that we were all in it together, so if we had to drive up to New Hampshire to do a show, there'd be four of us in the car -- one guy driving, another guy holding the beer, another guy probaby had the weed on him, you know what I mean? Everybody's got a responsibility. I think that the best people I've ever worked with -- Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman in Wag the Dog [1997], Clint Eastwood in True Crime [1999], Chris Walken -- all the legends that I worked with that I really admire all want you to be as good as they're going to be, because first it takes the pressure off them, and second it makes the whole thing better.

In the May 2007 Interview

No comments: