29 July 2008

Ann's daughter

As I was helping Mom move from Independent Living to Very Assisted Living I spent more time wandering around the community where she lives without having her with me. I had noticed over the years that people knew that I'm "Ann's daughter" -- we look very much alike, it's not that great a logical leap -- but I hadn't realized how throughly until they would stop me in the halls every other day or so and ask about her.

I told her at dinner the other night that it was a darn good thing that she had raised me to have a decent set of manners because had I been a rude, obnoxious daughter, everyone would have known exactly who had fallen down on the job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The woman known for her goodnight speech (you know, "Thankyouverymuch,I'vehadawonderfultime, wereallymustgettogetheranddothisagainsometime"), even to Skraelings, isn't one that I'd worry about having decent enough manners.

Sometime, I need your advice on shopping for dependent living in your area - like Reston.

Anonymous said...

Yea, right, real good manners. Like making rude observations about Hostess snack foods while people are in mid-bite. ;-)