18 November 2004

And we don't need no playlists neither

A local radio station (z104) is dedicating today through Friday to raising money for the Ronald McDonald House. For a pledge of $30 or or more, they'll play any song you name, assuming they can find it. So today was easily the most fun I've had listening to the radio in a while. Yeah, some folks actually paid money to hear stuff from their regular playlist (why???), but here's a sample of what I heard today:

White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Sugar Magnolia - The Grateful Dead
The Rose - Bette Midler (one of the less horrible numbers from her recent catalogue)
Freshmen - The Verve Pipe
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
American Soldier - Toby Keith (yeah, okay, I changed to another station during that one)
With or Without You - U2
Changes - David Bowie
The Life I Know - Collective Soul
What Might Have Been - Little Texas
Georgia - Ray Charles
(I can't remember the title) - Led Zepplin
Follow Your Bliss - B52s
(I forget which one) - Devo

Yeah, there was some useless crap - I'm sure I heard Celine Dion at one point, possibly singing with Andre Bocelli - but those are the breaks in a free society. There was music by local bands, music I'd never heard of, music I haven't heard in forever.... They jumped from era to era, from genre to genre. Such fun. A pretty devoted Clay Aiken fan paid $50 to hear one of his, figuring that even charity payola is worth it to get him some airplay. And she challenged his other fans to do the same. He should take her to dinner for that.

Luckily for me, "Livin' on a Prayer" came on while I was in the car, so naturally I rolled the window down, cranked the radio, and sang my heart out with Jon and the guys. I love that song.

And a day withouth Avril Lavigne is like a day with extra sunshine.

I suspect that there isn't a donation in the world large enough to get them to play The Partridge Family, so I won't even go there. They Might Be Giants, however, is worth a shot.

No comments: