12 May 2005

....(shriek)....(shriek)....(shriek)

So once upon a time some friends and I were at the Zoo. I don't remember absolutely who was there, but it was the Zoo, so I'm guessing Brett, Cate, Charles, Stacey, John, and Samantha. Steve? Anyway, we were wandering through some kind of reptile house and admiring all God's wriggly creatures.

Like most reptile houses, this one is kinda dark and kinda echo-y, sort of like a large public restroom with mood lighting. And among the background noises one could pick out - if one chose - the occasional muffled shriek. But, then again, zoos are usually full of children and children come equiped with shrieking. Had I paid a little more attention to the shrieking I might have been better prepared for what happened a few minutes later.

Someone in the group (Who? Who?? Geez, I'm getting old. ) said very casually - which should have been another warning - "Hey, Leta, check this out." I sat on the low stone wall, as instructed, leaned back slightly, as instructed, and looked up, as instructed. And shrieked.

Directly above me, about 10 feet above my head and looking me right in the eye, was a spider the size of a dessert plate. No kidding. She was huge. (All spiders - except Frankie the Brazilian Wandering Spider - are female and are named Charlotte. If I have to explain why, you should consider your entire childhood null and void.) I'm not afraid of spiders, but she was so ... unexpected. And really big. Did I mention big?
I have no idea if Charlotte worked for the Zoo or if they simply hadn't gotten around to evicting her or what, but she looked to be pretty thoroughly ensconced. Her web had a mother-in-law suite, updated appliances, and a Jacuzzi whirlpool tub.

I realized what had been going on. Guys all over the reptile house would notice Charlotte and then extremely casually arrange for their girlfriends to sit directly beneath Charlotte and look up.

So for the rest of the time we there, I listened to the background noise. And sure enough, at about 3-minute intervals, I heard a pause and a shriek. I bet a bunch of guys got smacked that day real hard.

1 comment:

Brett said...

I don't recall getting hit, but I do recall laughing. It was a big ol spider, but of the harmless variety, unless you are another smaller spider if I recall correctly. Good times, ahhh, good times.