10 January 2008

You only hurt the (little) ones you love

From talking to my friends and reading blogs and from a few other sources I've decided that if you haven't accidentally - and minorly* - injured your child in some way**, then you just aren't spending enough time with them.

Heck, one of my mother's cousins was lifting me out of a pool when I was about 8 and I slipped and hit my face on the concrete. Chipped a front tooth. "How can I send this child back home to her mother now? We broke her!" his wife said.

And I once failed to prevent my niece from shutting the car door on herself. Between her sobs and my "oh, honey, oh sweetie" noises she gulped out "I --- like --- you --- and ---I --- love --- you." So it's sort of a treasured memory, in a painful, cringe-inducing kind of way. Go figure.


*no pun intended. Oops.

**Carrying them and bouncing their heads off of door frames, cutting their hair and scraping them with the scissors, bathing them and getting water up their noses, stuff like that.

No comments: