07 April 2008

Sorry. I'll try to keep it down

Sally and I went to see Last of the Killone Players on Friday night. It was a small audience* and we were in the second row. While we were waiting for curtain, I was telling Sally about an e-mail I sent recently that contained the plea "ohplease, ohplease, ohplease"** and as I was quoting that bit the woman in front of me turned to me with one of those "would you please not be so loud" glares. I didn't think I was all that loud, but made a mental note that maybe I could be quieter.

Of course, I thought that only applied to my own anecdotes. Turns out that I was wrong.

The show opens with a very funny monologue and one that is especially funny if you've spent any time in community theater, so I was, you know, laughing. Not laughing hugely as if I were the Rich Councillor in the story about the Poor Wit and the Rich Councillor, but laughing.

And I got the glare again.

I actually considered not laughing any more for a second or two there. I really did. And how crazy is that? Then I considered how much actors like having people laugh at the funny bits and decided that I'd rather annoy this woman than disappoint this actor, especially as I am more likely to see him in the future than her. And, besides, there were enough empty seats that she could have moved had she chosen. Looking back on it, I sort of wish that I'd spent the second act lightly kicking the leg of her seat, but that would have been childish.

And, anyway, after the show the actors asked me and Sally and Jim if we were the good laughers and we were proud to say Yep! So I clearly made the right decision.


* Which was a pity as it was a very good show. Room shoulda been packed. I hope it was for the other performances.

**The person I was e-mailing said "yes." Thank heavens.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Interesting. Reminds me of the show we went to see last month, where we had a couple behind us who had to discuss everything not-so-sotto voce throughout the show. During Act 1 I gave them several over-the-shoulder glares. However, in Act II, when they continued, I gave in to the need to shush them. That bought perhaps a minute or two of silence. Their next comments drew a hushed but emphatic "Would you please be quiet!"

I've never had to do that before, didn't enjoy it, hope I don't have to resort to that again. Laughing at the funny bits is one thing; commentary on every scene is another matter entirely!

Worse, I was trying to adjudicate the show. Rather hard to do when one is getting increasingly annoyed with the oblivious people behind one.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. :D

Brett said...

See how the world works, you post a story and find out it it was Maureen you were annoying all along.

Anyhow I agree kicking the back of their chair would have been childish, you should have just safety pinned their clothes to their seat. Unless it really was Maureen, then you should have just shut up. ;)

Anonymous said...

I remember going to see Lorna Luft in a production of Guys and Dolls at the Kennedy Center. I had the temerity to laugh at the humor, and a richly dressed woman turned around and glared at me. I gave her a look that I hope conveyed "Hey Lady, I don't care if it's the Kennedy Center, it's a musical fercryinoutloud." Anyway, she gave up on me :D

Rigel

Anonymous said...

I've been on both sides too!
I was at either a G&S show or an opera and the husband of the older couple in front of us kept explaining what was going on to the wife without whispering. I believe my wife asked them if they could speak a little softer.

Then I was at fundraiser for John Reed's Colorado G&S festival in the late '80s, and the older couple in front of us kept looking at me when I laughed or applauded louder than they thought I should. They changed seats at intermission.

Mitch