08 June 2008

On its way to the Pennyworth

I've never actually seen Mom wear this t-shirt and I know that I won't, so off to the Pennyworth it goes, but I enjoyed the list.

Top Ten Reasons for Being an Episcopalian (according to Robin Williams*, that is)

10. No snake handling.
9. You can believe in dinosaurs.
8. Male and female, God created them; male and female we ordain them.
7. You don't have to check your brains at the door. **
6. Pew aerobics.
5. Church year is color coded.
4. Free wine on Sunday.
3. All of the pageantry, none of the guilt.
2. You don't have to know how to swim to get baptized.
1. No matter what you believe, there's bound to be at least one other Episcopalian who agrees with you.

And, of course, there is the very slight irony that I'm typing this on Sunday morning when the rest of the Frozen Chosen are at church. I'm not sure this counts as a devotional activity.

*Yep, the comedian. It's from an HBO special he did some years ago. Not Rowan Williams the Archbishop of Canterbury, although wouldn't that be interesting?

**If I could edit the list, I'd use the #7 I found as I was verifying which Robin Williams we were talking about here: "Instructions found in BCP" ***

***The Book of Common Prayer - it's more or less the Anglican Owner's Manual for the church.

No comments: