20 February 2007

Hilda's question

I took Stage Manager Samantha and her good friend Hilda to see Ruddigore on Sunday afternoon. The show was great fun and the girls enjoyed their backstage tour and the Q&A with the cast very much as well. Big kudos to VLOC for instituting the "Children's matinee" where any full freight adult can get two kids in free. This is definitely the way to raise the audience of the future because after the curtain calls both girls said that they wanted to see Pirates in June. Or rather they wanted to see Pirates until they heard that the director is looking for some kids to be in the show, so now Hilda wants to be in it and Samantha wants to work backstage, wear a headset, and paint stuff. Did I call it or did I call it? Stage Manager.

Anyway, during the Q&A, Hilda - who is, let us remember, about 9 - had a question. Her question: "What do you think is the message that people should take from this show?" I think that Hilda's question followed something like "How do you chose how is going to be what character?" so it was great fun to watch the Q&A panel change gears and go into, like, SAT mode. I don't even remember the answer but I'll never forget the looks on folks faces as they came up with it.

So now we have Stage Manager Samantha, Producer Charles, and Theater Critic Hilda. At this rate, I really am growing my own theater company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those kids rock my socks off. I think I've discouraged Hilda from auditioning this year. Logistics would drive her mother to distraction. Next year she'll (hopefully) have school near us so we could get her _to_ VLOC and her mom could get her from. Best laid plans and all, but both her mom and she thought they could live with this. Until then, she can be an awesome critic.
Stacey

Maureen said...

Wonderful!!! "Raise them up in the way in which they should go, and when they are old, they will not depart from it."

And has anyone objected to your raising your own theater group? I can think of at least 2 directors of our acquaintance right off the top of my head who'd have NO problem with that whatsoever.