06 February 2007

Making a better argument

When I stay overnight at David's, he seems to have some trouble getting me out of bed in the morning. And the basic reasons that he has any kind of interest in getting my lazy butt up and going are two:

1. When I should be getting up, I'm usually curled up with my head on his shoulder, pinning him down; and

2. He likes to spread out diagonally across the mattress and having Limpet Girl adhering to him noticeably slows that process.

And for the last several days it's been cold here the in DC area, so I'm even less inclined to bounce out of bed and start the day. In fact, just yesterday, Diagonal Man was trying to get me up when I made the following extremely subtle, sophisticated argument: "It's cold out there. It's warm in bed. QED."

My unintentional Wham! quotation aside, he still wasn't moved by my argument and, in fact, completely failed to acknowledge just how D it was, bringing up irrelevant rules of argument and logic. Again, not likely to pry me out from under nice, warm covers in Frigid February. David has yet to learn how to persuade through compliments and effusive flattery. Pity, that.

Anyway, for the past few days I've been thinking that he'd probably have no trouble at all in getting me up if he'd just invest in a
Bacon Alarm.


*All syllogisms have three parts :. this is not a syllogism.

The credit: I got the link from
Shelly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Jill and I first became a Serious Item, I usually got up first. After awhile, this started to grate on my, so I tried to out-wait her.

The second time I did that, she looked at me and said with *actual irritation* in her voice, "Would you please get up now, so I can watch your ass?"

After I finished laughing said ass off, I got up. Flattery is an amazing motivator.l

Anonymous said...

grate on me, that is