03 March 2007

How to market to Leta

About a year ago the good folks Cadbury Schweppes released an ad for 7-Up that I have only just seen because of my low exposure to television. In this ad, stuff happens that promotes 7-Up, I guess, and shows the product as light and refreshing, etc, etc. None of which I care about because I largely only consume sodas as either the non-booze component of a mixed drink or at intermission because I am desperately hoping to stay awake during the second act. What caught my attention about this ad was the music. I was, in fact, paying no attention to the ad whatsoever until my brain started nudging me that I was hearing the Partridge Family. And I was. I listened to the rest of the ad and, sure enough, the song was definitely "Sunshine" recorded by the heros of my youth.

For all I know it made the rest of America writhe as though tortured, except that according to this article in USA Today, sales are up, which I think should tell Young and Rubicam that the Partridge Family (and, maybe, oh, just maybe, the Cowsills, the de Francos, and any other family singing bubblegum pop) can really move the product.

I've got the sunshine in my hands
You've got the sunshine in your hands
We've got the sunshine in our hands
Now let it shine all over this land


* If you see me in a theater lobby somewhere knocking back a Coke or something, it's probably because I'm tired, not because the show is dull. One down side - among many - to intermittent insomnia is the random tendency to nod off when I sit quietly in the dark.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I thought, "Hey, that's the Partridge Family!" Heroes of my youth is a good way to put it. Thanks for verifying.

Anonymous said...

I too was drawn to the song in the new 7up ad; I was so positive it was David Cassidy aka Keith Partridge, I went to the 7up website to verify, but found no mention to the credit of the song...so I googled it. Glad to see I am not the only one to recognize the tune!!