09 March 2007

Way less than 3 minutes

There are a few smells that one is likely to encounter in an office that are completely unmistakable: Fresh coffee. Sharpie ink. Fear.

And, of course, burned popcorn. We had a heapin' helpin' of that last one today.

One of our staffers put in one of those individual-serving bags today, pushed a few buttons, and then made her tragic error. She walked away. I don't know why, maybe she was getting her water glass or something. But like a two-year ago with a permanent marker, one can never leave microwave popcorn unattended. Not for a second.

From my end of the hall, the attack was subtle. First I smelled popcorn. Then I smelled that sharp, piercing smell of burned popcorn. At the other end of the hall, where the accountants and countracts folk are, it was a more frontal assault. Office doors got closed, fans were rounded up, the front door propped open, and the usual "who did that?" mini-meetings were held at the front desk.

The microwave was coated with, well, with burned grease and a black, smoking bag was in the trash. My usual lunch is a frozen entree, so I sprayed the interior of the microwave with 409 and cleaned it out as much as I could. Then I ran a cup of water for a minute a couple of times, which helped absorb a lot of the smoke. And means that on Monday when I heat my lunch it won't have a top note of arson.

The other mistake my co-worker made was reading the bigger words on the popcorn bag, which says "Most bags will be done in LESS THAN 3 minutes" and missing the smaller words "(some bags will be done in as little as 1 minute)." I'm guessing she pushed the "popcorn" button on the front panel, which equals about 2:45. These bags are done by 1:15.

I'm little concerned that all that smoke set off neither the fire alarm nor the sprinklers, but I guess we'll just consider that a heads-up. Don't count on the smoke alarm to do anything except annoy you when you are busy and it is cold or raining out. And we're grateful that the entire floor wasn't sprinkled because I can't imagine that would be good for the computers.

Naturally, my boss, who was in the conference room and got a good lungful of "office campfire" was muttering about a popcorn ban, which I voted against. Especially as I bought a box of 10 of those single serving bags earlier this week, which I never leave unattended as they pop. Forgive and forget. No draconian responses to unfortunate lapses. Everyone is allowed a mistake now and again. That's what I said.

And besides, this only happens here maybe once a quarter. I know I remember the last one really well. Why? Because I was the arsonist that time.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

I can assure you (and all your faithful readers) that only the sprinkler head nearest the arson site would be triggered, unless of course the arsonist was particularly thorough and set several widely-scattered fires. (As the daughter of someone who spent a 40-year career installing fire sprinklers, I know many cheerful facts about them. And every once in a blue moon (OK, this is maybe the 2nd time in my life) they're actually a propos.)

Anonymous said...

Yep, the good ol' office microwave. Ours had an ongoing curry scent for a while, but actually that was my fault. You see, I have this thing that I do... I buy Lean Cuisines on sale & stock the fridge with them, and co-workers buy them back from me for $2.50. Often I get them for $2, but who's counting? I digress... I also would get the frozen curries, which were $4 or less. (being supplied for the next big snowstorm - priceless).
Anyway, I haven't stocked the currys in a while, and the microwave has settled down to neutral.

Maureen said...

I once worked in an office where there were a few things one was not allowed to heat in the microwave; I don't remember all of them, but I do remember that brussel sprouts and fish of any kind were strictly verboten.

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show that you CAN brown things in a microwave...Socks for instance.

n.b. replace two year ago w/two year old.
---Simon