21 September 2007

I have a little shelf

I have a handy little area where I keep a few books at the office. Are they books about finance, engineering, contracting, treasury management, Excel, keeping engineers and accountants placid and productive? Well, not quite. They are:

Agnes of God (John Pielmeier). I'm probably going to audition for it. Lent to me by Andrea.*

The Big Heavy Book of Shakespeare (Edward de Vere). Actually the Cambridge edition of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare with peculiar, very modern, sketches for matte stainless steel statues, what is this a volume of Shakespeare or the storyboard for Metropolis Meets Forbidden Planet? illustrations by Rockwell Kent. I have always referred to both this book and the Riverside Shakespeare as The Big Heavy Book of Shakespeare. Imagine my surprise when some poor, benighted soul asked me - in all innocence - if it was really called that. Sometimes the world is too much with me, I swear.

The Invention That Changed the World (Robert Buderi). Okay, this one is about microwave radar, but come on, it's a history book. Lent to me by a co-worker.

Persepolis (and Archaeological Sites in Fars) (Werner Felix Dutz, introducing). Lent to me by a co-worker. Very, very cool book filled with color plates, photographs, drawings & plans, and maps of the Persian ruins in Persepolis. Published in 1969.

Webster's Ninth New College Dictionary
(published by Merrian Webster). What do I actually use to confirm spellings and usage? Dictionary.com.

Wonder of the World (David Lindsay-Abaire). Another possible audition. My copy.

I also used to have Thus Was Adonis Murdered (Sarah Caudwell) here, but for some reason, I took that one home.


* (Note to self - Give Andrea back her darned book!)

1 comment:

Maureen said...

That Persepolis book sounds cool; I'll have to look for it when I return my current batch of books to the library.

And you have a proper, hardcopy dictionary on hand and you'd rather look things up on line? Give me an old-fashioned, "real" dictionary any day - makes for much more satisfactory browsing.