29 May 2005

I got a present!

Yesterday, David gave me a copy - in hardback! - of Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation, which I am reading and greatly enjoying. Even the dedication made me giggle:

In memory of Carlile Vowell (1904-1995)

Grandfather, principal, history teacher, Muskogee County commissioner, wiseacre, and Democrat. What I wouldn't give to hear him cuss that a book about three Republicans has been dedicated in his memory.
As always, Ms. Vowell writes thoughtfully and amusingly about the sorts of topics that geeky people like me find interesting. Assassination Vacation is an examination of the deaths of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley, and how American has managed to theme park those events. "Going to Ford's Theatre to watch the play is like going to Hooters for the food."

When asked in a public radio interview why she didn't also include Kennedy's assassination, she said that as many members of his family are still alive, it seemed inconsiderate. That at this remove, no one is going to be deeply personally offended if she says something snarky about Leon Czolgosz (shol-gosh - or for a more pedanticly nuanced pronounciation, contact David) or refers to Robert Todd Lincoln, who was present for the deaths of his father, Garfield, and McKinley as "Jinxy McDeath."

You may be wondering why David bought me a present. Apparently, just because he likes me! And you're wondering if I gave him a present in return. Well, yes, more or less, in that I didn't insist on reading to him everything that made me giggle or seemed insightful as he was trying to read some big, heavy book about Beckett. (Samuel, the playwright, not Thomas a, victim of careless musings by Henry II.) Considering how much stuff I find hilarious and David finds, shall we say, underwheming that he has had read to him by me, my restraint is no small gift and not to be overlooked. Epic poetry has been written about gifts of less import than that.

My book! This is my book!

Thanks, Sweetie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love her work! I bought Partly Cloudy Patriot on CD for my drive from DC to Atlanta, and I've listened to it 3 times. She's just such an insightful, funny writer. She says things I wish I had said.