01 June 2005

Guys throwing and catching things

I love watching men catch things. In the same way that some men find watching women walk down the street in heels to be a wonderful part of the mystery that is women, I find watching men catch things - eyeing where the ball or whatever will go and just reaching a hand out to intercept it without getting behind it and staring at it - to be a wonderful part of the mystery that is men.

(Of course, just as some men - Johnnie Depp, for one - can walk in a charming and eye-catching way, so can some women catch really well - witness Geena Davis in A League of Their Own. But that's not what this is about for me.)

The very best way to watch men catch things is to go to a ballpark. There ain't nothin' like going to a baseball game, acquiring a sufficiency of beer and ball park treats, settling back, and watching men do something they do very well. And giving them the sort of advice that I like to give from 30,000 feet up in the stands: "Okay, get under it. Good." Other dialogue you are likely to hear from me at games: "Oh! Oh!" or "Yes!" or "No!" I am more succinct at ball games than in real life. (I'm chattier at hockey games and lacrosse matches where I'm likely to remind the players that the game remains a team sport and, thus, passing to other members of the team remains a viable option.)

And because the Nationals are better than the Capitals at remembering the whole team sport concept, the Nats won over Atlanta 3-2. Even though we loaded the bases on a walk at least once which I regard as being as stupid and dangerous as cheating on one's wife. The chance for a bad outcome is just too high.

It being Memorial Day, the game included recognition of our men and women in uniform. A bit of the official song of each branch of the military was played and we were requested to stand for our song if we had been in the service or had a loved one in the service. I stood for the Navy because my Dad graduated from the Academy in 1957 and served until 1979, including a tour of Viet Nam and a really nifty posting to SHAPE headquarters in Belgium.

I will always root for the Orioles, and BJ Surhoff will always remain one of my favorite players, but just as a parent can love more than one child, there is room in my heart for more than one team. And besides, we can get to Nats games on the subway, which is a cool and wonderous thing.

And because everyone should learn something every day, David learned that Brett is not teasing when he claims that I could be parachuted out of a plane over China and would meet up with someone I know before I reach a paved road. While trolling for treats, we ran into Susan & Steve and up in our section I spotted Steve (a different Steve) & Heidi & Sarah & Casey & Jordan.

Craig was somewhere over by 3rd base and Seth near first base, but I didn't see them, so I guess that doesn't count.

And, by the way, another thing I really enjoy watching men do is jump over things by resting one hand on the fence, wall, whatever, and just clearing it. That is so amazing. If you can do that - and catch things - let me know and I'll stop by and watch you do it.

Take me out to the ball game,
take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack
I don't care if I ever get back.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I play live baseball all the time. Next Wednesday (8/3) I'll even be playing live baseball in MD, at Povich Field in Cabin John Park. I mention this conversationally.

And I have never, EVER seen walking the bases loaded compared with cheating on one's wife. I note that apparently it is not comparable to cheating on one's husband. Interesting ... ;)

Rigel