22 February 2005

Quiet Riot

"The pagans on-stage made pagans of the audience." -- Thomas Kelly

David and I are going to the Kennedy Center on Thursday to admire the dance stylin's of the Washington Ballet. They will be performing The Rite of Spring, which premiered in 1913 with music by Igor Stravinsky (and pretty darned amazing music it is, too) and choreography by Serge Diaghilev. I have informed David that in a nod to the piece's history, I intend to riot.

I suppose a one-person riot won't be all that notable, especially as I have always been a well-behaved, nice, Episcopalian (a religion where the whole transubstantiation thing is optional, but not creating a scene is a pillar of the faith), good girl. So if anyone can provide me with rioting tips, I'd be grateful. Just remember, I'll be wearing my Bob Mackie heels, so nothing too strenuous, please.

A few months ago I asked David why people rioted over .... a ballet? Well, let's just say that the Kennedy Center's website has a caution that The Rite of Spring contains adult material and is not suitable for all audiences. And according to NPR, The Rite followed Les Sylphides, also by Stravinsky and Diaghilev. Les Sylphides was apparently pretty tame, so an audience that saw Oklahoma! as the first piece saw Oh! Calcutta! for the second. (Please don't make me explain Oh! Calcutta!)

Well, no matter how much I do or do not like The Rite and no matter how much or how little I am shocked by it, I can at least report that the Kennedy Center has a decent coffee maker. So at least intermission is assured.

No comments: