12 March 2008

Skanky factlet

In all the hoopla regarding the Eliot Spitzer unpleasantness, I heard this interview on All Things Considered:
Michele Norris talks with Martin Monto, professor of social psychology, at the University of Portland. Monto did a study on customers of prostitutes. His research shows that many of the assumptions of why men seek out prostitutes are accurate. They are seeking greater variety, something simple, no commitment. He says many are also attracted to the very illicit nature of prostitution. This risk-taking on behalf of people in the public eye can have several components.
The part that caused me to stare at the radio, grossed out? That would be the part where Professor Monto said that about 20% of men have used prostitutes. That would be 1 in 5. That would mean that I must know several of them. Or lots and lots.

If you are one of them, please don't self-identify. I don't want to know.

Ick. Ick. Ick.

And if I misheard that statistic, what with driving and paying attention to the road and all, please feel free to correct me. Or rather, correct me if the number is lower as that would make me feel a bit better. If it's higher then I really, really don't want to know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeewww. Suddenly, I feel like I have way too many relatives.

Just ewww. Your blog has now brought unpleasant thoughts into my life.

Damn, you Leta!

Leta said...

I know! Tell me about it!

Ick. Ick. Ick.

Anonymous said...

Well to me, one of the greatest things about sex is that soembody WANTS TO DO IT WITH YOU. IMHO prostitution highlights the fact that that is not the case.

tommyspoon said...

I think that number is way too high.

Speaking for the menfolk, the main reason that men engage the services of a sex provider is the belief that they can get away with it. All the other explanations and suppositions are bunk. Most men may think about engaging the services of s sex provider, but most don't because they don't see a clever way of getting away with it.

But what I really want to know is what was Eliot getting for his four grand? I mean, I can imagine quite a bit, but I'd really like to know...

;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh,

Leta,

(pats reassuringly on the hand)

Casey Jones said...

Leta,

I have two theories on this 1 out of 5 statistic.

1: It is very wrong.
or
2: There are entire cities of prostitute-patrons to balance out the far-and-wide population that, apparently, doesn't need or want to pay for sex.

That being said, I know exactly one guy who's admitted to paying for sex. He lives here in NYC.

I also know one guy who's *accepted* money for sex. Very passively. Showed a lady a good time, she left money on the nightstand for him. Whoo-er.

Anonymous said...

And don't even think about the number of people who don't wash their hands after using a toilet ...

Helpfully yours,

Rigel