08 April 2005

Because Casey is a guy, too

Okay, so last year I was the production minion for a show at the Stage. And because I liked the guys in the show and because I liked the production, I saw quite a few of the 14 performances. (To David's unending gratitude, I am no longer off book for most of the text and, therefore, no longer quote it incessantly.) Anyway, the guys were usually pretty glad to see me - I was Mary Richards to their Lou Grant, Ted Baxter, and Murray Slaughter. Or not, but I like the image. Perhaps I was Anybodys to their Riff, Tony, and Action. No matter.

After one Sunday mat, Dave was walking me to my car and he asked me - as he asked after every performance - "Will we see you again?" I looked at him for a moment and asked back "You ask me that every time you see me. Why do you continue to ask the question when you don't listen to the answer?"

"Leta, I'm a guy. What do guys think about?" "Uhm...food, sports, and sex." "Right answer, wrong order."

A few weeks later I was asking my friend Michael to explain something to me and he started his explanation with "Well, what do men think about?" and I told him the above anecdote. He actually said - before I could - the "right answer, wrong order" line. (And not - as many of you are thinking - because I'd told him the story so often that he's memorized it. Ha!)

What brings all this to mind? Sweet, darling Casey is in a show. And every time I talk to him - since he was cast a couple of months ago - every time I talk to him he asks if I'm coming to see it. And I've dutifully told him that yes, David and Maura and I will be there on the 10th. That, yes, I have a reservation, because, yes, I know that the show is selling out. (I was starting to feel like Molly Bloom with all those "yeses.") So I told him the story. And while he says he's not that much into sports, he gets the point. Casey has sworn that between now and Sunday, he will remember that I am coming. On the 10th. With David. And Maura. And reservations.

No comments: