22 April 2005

A note on my punctuation

In re-reading what I write, I always notice how very many dashes and parentheses I use. I seem to be completely incapable of thinking in a linear fashion; my thoughts are much more fractal. (Note to David: I know, I know, I am simply begging here for a correction on the exact meaning of fractal. Let's just remember that I am making these numbers up!)

Fortunately for me, Leslie's thinking is just as fractal as my own. Our conversations would loop around, ducking in and out of topics and subtopics and tangents for hours at a time. What amazed her was that we'd always manage to go back and tie in the dropped threads. Eventually.
At a recent audition, Chuck the director was randomly asking us questions about what we thought the characters were thinking. (Well, it seemed random to us, but I don't think that there is anything random in Chuck's world. Any dust at his house is probably organized by size and origin.) Anyway, he asked me a question and I thought for a minute. And I started my remarks (yes, plural) with an apology for the fact that my answer would be an extended essay. And then I gave a public display of Leta's Thought Process.

After I finished, Chuck thanked me and Smart-Ass Dave signaled me over. He whispered that my answer had an awful lots of commas in it. I told him that he should count himself lucky because I actually had two semi-colons and a couple of parentheticals that I chose not use. He agreed that, yes, they had gotten off easier than they might have.

No comments: