06 April 2005

The Quotable Me

***

After being asked if I was going to Buxton, England this year to attend the annual G&S Festival, I replied that I couldn't because "[my mortgage holder] won't let me, for they are a vain and jealous god."

***

Lisa and Laura and I were sitting together at an audition recently. The room was filled with people with elevated blood pressure, taking things much too seriously. Usually in this sort of situation, we try to remind ourselves that it's only a play and that the worst thing that could happen would be not getting cast. So, I turned to Laura and said, "So, what's the worst they can do to us? ... Well, actually, drag us through the streets behind a huge carriage, covered in tar and feathers, with signs stuck to our butts that say 'Has no talent and wasted our time.'" The three of us found this idea to be pretty stress relieving. Lisa even asked on her way out if she had a big sign on her butt.

***

In an e-mail exchange with Laura and Sally, after Sally decried her busy schedule and promised to have more available time in the near future, I wrote back:

"You know, that very phrase 'Things should start to calm down for me in another month' is probably the biggest lie I tell on a consistent basis."

Admittedly, this more a statement of fact than an amusing quip, but I'm going to quote myself, I might as well go for it.

No comments: