15 June 2005

Quandaries

This post will probably show why it is that I am a True Neutral rather than Lawful Good, but so be it. I'm in the middle of a couple of quandries and perhaps my Devoted Readers can offer some enlightenment to the path of Truth, Beauty, and Honor.

Quandary #1 - The Max Tax

When my lunch bunch goes to Max's Deli, Trevor or Dave usually brings me a Black & White cookie. They know I love them and I usually can't go along to Max's because they go when I'm covering Tanya's lunch hour and because it's unlikely that they will go there and return in under an hour. (Laura, my boss, doesn't get all hyper about our comings and goings, so I try not to abuse the system.) We call the bringing of the Black & White Cookie to Leta the Max Tax. (If you ever wondered who the conservatives are and who the liberals are in my lunch bunch, just remember that the Max Tax was created by me and is paid by Trevor and Dave.)

Anyway, if the Celiac Disease is confirmed on July 5th (as I assume it will be, darn it), I will be out of the Black & White Cookie eating business. But Trevor and Dave don't yet know about the CD. Here's my Quandary: Do I tell them and repeal the Max Tax or do I just enjoy a little illicit Black & White Cookie goodness now and then?

Quandary #2: My hemline.

I have a blue & green plaid dress in which I look (in my own humble opinion) wicked cute. Really. And I'm fitting back into said dress these days (yay!). Which is all good. The part that isn't so good is that the dress shrank about an inch and a half the last time I washed it, but the lining did not. So as I walk around, the lining peeks out of the bottom, which - if this were a costume - could be fixed with 1" blue lace. But that would look stupid in real life.

My quandary: the dress was on the short side to begin with and now is in the mini range. So if I shorten the lining - the obvious fix - then the lining can't provide some much needed coverage when I drive. When I'm sitting in a chair, I have a decent amount of thigh covered but when I'm sitting in the bucket seat of the Protege, well, the view is more startling. Let's just say that I won't ever get another traffic ticket (unless the cop is female and hetero) if I'm wearing this dress. 'Nuff said?

Getting rid of the dress is not an option because - need I repeat? - I look fabulous in it. And I don't look fabulous in enough clothes to allow the good ones to get away.

I swear, my life is just filled with little issues like this.

6 comments:

Casey Jones said...

Leta, far be it for me to deny you black and white goodness, but if it isn't good for you and could cause problems... Could the tax be transferred to a Leta-friendly treat?

As for the hemline, do what needs doin'. You're only young and good-looking once. :)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried getting the skirt wet and line drying it to see if it will stretch back out? That's worked for some of my clothes.

Maureen said...

If the CD test does come up positive, well, how miserable does that cookie make you and how much damage could the CD wreak in revenge? It's your decision to make, but I hope that cookie isn't completely CD-incompatible.

As for the dress: the other obvious fix is to lower the hemline of the dress (assuming, of course, there's enough fabric for that and that said fabric hasn't faded at different rates). You're welcome to stop by with the dress and straight pins (mine are AWOL at the moment) so I can mark a new hem on either dress or lining.

Anonymous said...

Add 2" of another fabric instead of lace...a solid in either blue or green...if you can't find a match for the type of material, then get something funky, like satin or iridescent taffeta...it doesn't have to look like a costume. Or um...matching hotpants. ;)

David Gorsline said...

The Max Tax should be seen as one part of a Carbohydrate Redistribution Plan. You should continue to collect the tax and then give the cookies to someone less fortunate, like your boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by McCall's suggestion! (Not the iridescent part, but the solid blue or green.)

Sorry to hear about the Celiac issue. Sharing the wealth, or risking an uncomfortable period by keeping the wealth, appeals to me. But I'm a little uncomfortable with keeping the tax in light of the changed circumstances....

My former cube neighbor, a gourmet cook with Celiac, was a big fan of making flour out of popcorn and using that to make bread.

I also just ate the most amazing nutrition bar that was Celiac friendly: Larabars. The ginger snap flavor has nothing but dates, almonds, ginger & cinnamon. See your neighborhood Whole Foods.